Where I left off

I was getting into painting lightly on the muslin then stitching on it free motion style. Then adding in the improv patchwork. This one is taking time to grow on me, but it is growing on me. I’m starting to love the wacky font I can barely read and the messy flowers. The message is the right one for me, as breath is the way to live and sing.

New Dress Form

Dress form

Today I worked on this dress form that I made using a customized pattern from Bootstrap fashion. It’s my 2nd go, the first one got too big for me. Lol, I shrunk a bit, so I needed an updated one, not to mention the busy printed fabric I chose for no. 1 was way too distracting. Live and learn. This time I used tea dyed muslin for a neutral look and a touch of linen on the neck, just to be pretty. I cant wait to try a draping exercise in this. Below are some progress photos and the first one I made.

Faux Fur Coat

I started this in 2019 and got stuck on the collar. I didn’t have an idea for it and the fur was a bear to sew. Fast forward a few years and I decided to use this little strip of contrasting faux as the collar. It was simply the whole little rectangle that I used. Where did I even get it? I accepted donations of fabric in the past, so probably this scrap was given to me, but so long ago, I dont recall. I always loved the spotty fur and folded it in half longwise immediately and thought “you will be a collar one day,” so now it is. It’s a small scale collar for such a big furry coat. Fun. Also showing here is the lining I chose, another donated fabric I was holding onto for ages. It’s a brocade. I made this coat to have fun and be a little over the top. I will wear it this winter.

Bathing suit sewn

My 2 piece. A bra pattern + a panties pattern = 2 piece bathing suit. I modified a Greenstyle corset bra and the Megan Neilson Acacia underwear patterns into this. I got the serger running and that’s a whole adventure story for another post.

Triangle Improv

Off book, just making an experiment with the piecing solid cotton into triangles together in a playful pattern. The quilting is done with a big freehand pattern on my sewing machine with a walking foot. This piece is small enough to hang on the wall with small paintings.

My first Pandemic…

This past year has been an emotional rollercoaster starting with abject fear of an apocalypse through many months of “lock down,” businesses shut down, quarantine, covid scares, and much more. All of us went through it together and just these last weeks we are beginning to see the light at the end with vaccinations. In fact, I can only now make post because my husband now his vaccine ( I’ve had my first) and I can finally stop worrying about him.

Mask making was a big thing.

I’m Still here! Thanks for checking.

Its February already, 2020. The Fall of 2019 passed quickly and Winter 2020 is flying along. So much has happened and been made that I’ll not be able to catch up. Some highlights of have been flannel shirts, more jean’s, cardigans, turtlenecks, underwear, coffee filters and zipper bags. That’s enough to share now. It’s been busy and I’ve sewed every week, except a few weeks when my Juki broke down hard.

Here are a few projects of late.

Undies, I spent a day making 5 pair.
Sequined dress I made for New Years Eve (at home, lol)
Pajama pants for the guys.
I bought the sleeve expansion for my Closet Case Kalle Shirt pattern and used this gorgeous and soft yarn dyed cotton.
I was low on coffee filters, so decided to try making some after dreaming I found them at a store. I used scraps of heavy cotton and light linen. Both work so well! Success.
I sewed with my lovely sister in law on Tuesday and we made these zippered bags. So fun to sew together. Love you, Bev.